Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tarantula! (x2)

I had shared my latest Marfa post, signed off from all my technology, done my yoga stretches (a new nightly ritual), and was propped up in bed editing one of my essays. When I flopped my essay-holding file folder onto the painted concrete floor, I saw something skitter. Something large, hairy, and multi-legged. Aack! Adrenalin pumping, I hopped upright on the bed. I'm no spider expert, but that sure looks like a tarantula. Where's the cat? Can she help? Aack!

It's bug season in Marfa. I had been duly warned when I rented this casita. And in my few days here, I'd seen them all: grasshoppers, crickets, mosquitos, small spiders, medium spiders, stick bugs, bugs I've never seen before in all sorts of colors, winged ones, crawly ones, dead ones, living ones. Not my favorite nighttime companions, but I can deal. But this... this was the size of a small rodent. I was not prepared for this. Scorpions and rattlesnakes were on my radar, but tarantulas hadn't crossed my mind.

God doesn't give us anything we can't handle, right? 

After procuring the necessary rodent-sized spider removal equipment (a cup and a firm piece of paper to slip under it), I stalked Mr. T. Actually, it was more like we did a squirmy dance of mutual fear. I'd ushered him (maybe it was a her?) toward the closest door, but s/he dodged the cup and awaited my next move from behind my sandals.

I don't want to kill you. I just want you to go. Just go. Shoo.

How do I slip the cup over that big hairy body without getting too close? I backed away from where I'd backed Mr. T into a corner... and nearly backed into T2, a smaller version of Mr. T. 

Family? Aack!

T2 was easier to handle. The ugh factor — though strong — was not as overwhelming with the smaller tarantula. It took me a while to muster the courage, but I did scoop up T2 and deposit him outside. I used the door furthest away from the bedroom.

But I met my match in Mr. T. I just couldn't bring myself to get too close to the critter. I chased him into the living room. We stared at each other. Really. I could see the light reflecting in his eyes. I looked away. And then he disappeared. Probably into the stacks of books. (This casita is filled with really good books.)

The adrenalin was wearing off and it was way past my bedtime. Exhausted, I crept back into the bedroom. I lifted all the pillows and sheets to scan for bugs before lying down for the night. I called to the cat. This time she came, the tags on her collar jingling. Will you keep me company? She did. 

2 comments:

  1. You know a spider is big when you can look her in the eyessss.

    Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to face the king of creepy crawlies and live to tell about it! This was lovely - made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete