Thursday, August 26, 2010

Home Is Wherever I'm With You

I'm back in the Bay Area.

I packed up my easel and canvases and yoga mat and all the other accoutrement I brought with me to Marfa. I swept out the casita and fed the cat a little extra so she would be content until her person returned. I said my farewells to the crickets and birds and unmarked streets.

There's no recycling system in Marfa, so I plopped two-weeks' worth of plastics, glass and papers on the passenger seat of my Golf and transported it 26 miles to Alpine where I sorted it all into labeled industrial-sized bins. The car reeked a bit, but cleared out about 150 miles into the 400-mile drive to Austin, where it is now happily ensconced in an underground parking garage, safe from the sun until I return next week to pick it up.

Austin is home to an eclectic mix of tattooed hipsters, two-steppin' cowboys, genteel professionals, and Dilbert-esque technologists. They are (as I've heard most Texans are) notoriously generous and hospitable. I've been blessed by these qualities. To those awesome Austinites who've offered me a beautiful apartment to stay overnight, a place to leave my car, and rides to and from the airport: thank you!

What's this? you say. Your car is in Austin? You're returning next week to pick it up? What gives?

The journey continues, but I am home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHEOF_rcND8

No comments:

Post a Comment