First a red light appeared off in the distance slightly to the left of the viewing station that's been constructed expressly for spotting this unsolved mystery. The red light flickered and wiggled a bit, but basically stayed in one place. It was so stationary that it could have been a streetlamp, way off in the distance. But streetlamps aren't known to flicker or wiggle. Since there was just one red light, it was unlikely to be a car's headlights. More lights appeared to the right, then to the left. They would occasionally blink on and off.
As I watched with the swarms of other mystery seekers, I was not convinced these lights aren't ordinary lights (of what sort, I couldn't say). I checked in with my intuition. These didn't feel like spirit entities or earth emanations. They felt technological. The real mystery to me is that science hasn't determined what they are.
Regardless of their source or their purpose, the lights delight me. They are yet another expression of Marfa's quirkiness. And driving the eight miles out of town to the viewing station afforded me a breathtaking sunset and a deep appreciation for the wide open expanse of this land. It is gorgeous out here.
I can feel Marfa working its magic on me.
P.S. The more curious phenomenon out at the viewing station tonight was a dark object just above the cloud line. The object was still against the sky for quite a time, then disappeared. Through the viewing station's binoculars, I could make out its shape. It looked like a dirigible. A web search turns up this article. Perhaps I saw the Border Patrol's drug blimp.
No comments:
Post a Comment